Huntington State Beach Junior Lifeguard Association
*NEW TRYOUT DATE JUST ADDED – Thursday, June 9th at 7pm at Costa Mesa High School
The California State Junior Lifeguard Program emphasizes Teamwork, Leadership, and Aquatic Safety while introducing young people to safe marine and aquatic recreation opportunities. The program is designed to provide quality water safety education while improving young people’s physical conditioning, their understanding and respect for the environment, and their respect for themselves, their parents, and their peers. Students of all abilities and skill levels may participate.
The Huntington State Beach Junior Lifeguard Association (HSBJLA) purpose is to support the junior lifeguard programs at both Huntington State Beach and Bolsa Chica State Beach. The HSBJLA operates under the Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code and offers annual $20 membership dues for junior lifeguards and seeks donations from the community and business. Become a Member or Donate here.
The HSBJLA pays for JG Scholarships, the Awards for end of Session Banquettes, Summer Session DVD’s, JG Guard Aid Stipends, Pancake Breakfasts, Hot Dog BBQ’s, Equipment repairs, Competition support and Emergency Summer logistical support.
The HSBJLA is affiliated with the California Surf Lifesaving Association (CSLSA) and the United States Lifesaving Association (USLA). The HSBJLA shares the goals and objectives of the CSLSA and USLA to promote beach safety awareness and professional open-water lifesaving standards. The CSLSA is the west coast region of the USLA which in turn is affiliated to the International Lifesaving Association (ILS).
The annual member benefits of the HSBJLA are similar to junior lifeguard programs in Southern California and the United States and include:
- Join the HSBJLA and automatically become a member of the CSLSA and USLA
- Receive product, equipment and service discounts offered by the HSBJLA and its sponsors.
- Receive a membership card and kit from USLA
- Receive membership incentives from the CSLSA, which may include products such as decals, T-shirts, caps, mugs, etc.
- Receive two professional lifeguard publications…the Cal Surf News twice a year via the web and the American Lifeguard Magazine three times a year
- Receive professional discounts on Da Fin swim fins, Patagonia clothing, Hertz rental cars, Hobie sunglasses, and many other products
- Eligible (for all but Associate Members) to compete at the CSLSA Regional Championships and the USLA National Championships
- Eligible to attend lifeguard educational workshops, seminars and conferences sponsored by the CSLSA and USLA (fees may be required)
- Eligible to participate in regional, national and international lifeguard exchanges
- Affiliation with Junior Lifeguard programs and competitions
- May obtain the latest beach safety and public education materials
Click HERE for CSLSA Membership details and Incentives.